There will be no political campaigns in areas declared insecure in parts of Baringo and Laikipia counties.
Rift Valley Regional Coordinator Wanyama Musiambo yesterday said the areas are still unsafe for free operation to both local and political leaders as police operation was still going on.
This is a blow to politicians given that the official campaign period, according to the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commissions (IEBC), kicks off on May 28.
Mr Musiambo said campaigns will only be allowed in the areas after lifting of the declaration gazetted by Cabinet Secretary for Interior Joseph Nkaissery.
“As it stands now, political aspirants vying for various elective positions cannot conduct campaigns in parts of Baringo and Laikipia where operation is ongoing because they are unsafe,” said Musiambo.
He said upon lifting of the declaration, aspirants will be able to conduct campaigns freely without interference.
Musiambo said aspirants might face hostility or get hurt by criminals who are still operating in the areas.
Notorious areas in Baringo South include Chebinyingi, Mochongoi, Ng’elecha, Rugus, Arabal, and Ng’elecha, while those in Baringo North are Ng’aratuko, Yatia and Chemoe .
The renewed operation, he said, will continue for the next 30 days in all areas that had earlier been gazetted as unsafe.
Nkaissery gazetted unsafe areas as Arabal, Kiserian, Mochongoi, Rugus, Mukutani, Chebinyinyi, Komolion, Chepkalacha, Makutano, Paka, Orus, Loiywat, Silale, Nando, Tangulbei, Chepkererat, Kipnai, Ng’oron and Amaya.
In Laikipia county, the following areas were also gazetted as unsafe; Rumuruti, Ol Moran, Kirimon, Marmanet, Mukogodo East, Segera, Mithiga and Mutuiku.
The national government has extended the security operation in all the areas after expiry of the initial 30-day operation.
Musiambo said the Government renewed the operation after it was discovered that some parts of the county were still insecure.